googleimp

A documentary of the journey of one Google intern.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

The First Day

So I had my first day at Google today. I almost didn't make it. Apparently you shouldn't trust alarm clocks that come with new residencies. My roommate, Ross, who also had his first day today, woke me up about an hour before we were supposed to be there. Fortunately, I had taken a shower last night (so I'd get hot water, not in case of this), so the only thing I missed was a "proper" breakfast. We left 15 mins later than we had hoped (wanted to leave an hour earlier, just to be safe, since we didn't know where we were going, really). I misguided us a bit, but we did get there on time. Took a while for everything to get going, but the first day was pretty cool. Got to talk to lots of cool interns and meet a lot of people. I'm surprised they had PM interns. Most of the girls (sad) were in this MBA intern program. Apparently there's some stuff we engineers can know, which they can't. Kinda odd. Oh, apparently I'm not allowed to say anything about what I'm actually doing. I didn't realize it was so hush hush. So if I've let something slip before, forget it. I didn't sign the NDA earlier, so it's probably not binding, but it would still suck if I wasn't supposed to say somethign which I did. We *are* supposed to brag about the perks though. Heh.

I didn't quite get to my desk today. My host (whose name I can't say. seriously. wtf. I'll call him Smith or something) didn't show up after the last orientation thing today. We tried to call him, etc, but no answer. I hung around my desk for a while, but I needed him to login, so I didn't get far. I stuck around long enough to accidently release the Welcome baloons to the ceiling and get the attention of the ladies in the cube next door. Oh. And I ate some kisses.

So this looks like it's going to be pretty awesome. The buildings are amazing. I like the architecture. The atmosphere is really open and collaborative. It's really nice. Lots of food. Lots of good people. Those little swimming pool analogs of treadmills. Pretty much everything I'd like in a company. We'll have to see how the work is. But I have a really good feeling about this place. It's going to be tough for Microsoft to compete. Flat management is awesome. Office politics sucks. I should still give MS an intern chance next summer. If I go to grad school, of course. But wow. I love Seattle. But wow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home