googleimp

A documentary of the journey of one Google intern.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Challenge

Thayer challenged me last week to ride in the one gear and get "massive legs". I don't know if I want massive legs, but I do like stronger, better legs, so I took him up on it. On Friday, and today, I biked to work in 21st gear (the small leg movement to lots of forward movement). Now, some may say that it being downhill to work makes this only a minor accomplishment. I would say that they are correct. So yesterday I biked back from work as well. It was quite a bit harder, I dunno if I'll be doing it again. I bike three times what thayer does... and I have a lot more than one small hill.

Today I returned the crappy bike (which I had for the challenge) to Target and went to the bike shop. I tried a few bikes, but I didn't want to spend more than three hundred if I could avoid it. I ended up getting a "hybrid" bike for around that much. It's got a lot bigger gears, so I can be more efficient going downhill and not spin out, and on flat stretches too. I still doubt I'll ever use the 14 lower gears, but that's okay. Because of the way the frame is constructed, I get a lot more downward thrust with my legs, almost as if I were standing compared to the Target bike. The ride back today was a whole bunch easier. Then again, I am getting stronger and into better shape. Still. I like the new ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home